ORTHODOXY

The Eastern Christianity became popular on Belarusian lands after the baptism of Prince Vladimir of Kiev. Orthodox Church competed with Roman Catholic Church throughout the history and got a privileged position after Belarusian lands became part of Russian Empire in late 18th century. Currently, most of Orthodox Christians in Belarus belong to the Belarusian Exarchate of Russian Orthodox Church - while is mostly emigration-based.

There are 38 Orthodox communities of Belarusian Orthodox Church and 25 churches in Minsk, out of them 6 are situatied in Minsk historical center.

Minsk Administration of Belarusian Exarchate of Russian Orthodox Church - Residence of the Metropolitan of Minsk and Sluck, the Patriarchal Exarch of all Belarus

Minsk Administration of Belarusian Exarchate of Russian Orthodox Church - Residence of the Metropolitan of Minsk and Sluck, the Patriarchal Exarch of all Belarus
The building of the administration was constructed in 1985 and is a rare example of the modern architectural concept for the religious building of Russian Orthodox Church. There's a church on the 1st floor of this building with a beautiful wooden Baroque icon screen.
Показать больше Показать на карте

The Holy Spirit Cathedral

The Holy Spirit Cathedral
The church was built in 1642-1687 in the Vilnius Baroque style and initially belonged to the convent of Bernardines. Nowadays, this is the main cathedral of Belarusian Orthodox Church that attracts crowds on main church holidays. City authorities normally introduce additional transport routes and extend metro opening hours at the times of religious processions and masses. The church possesses the relics of Saint Sofia of Sluck and Minsk Hodegetria icon, which, according to the legend, was painted by St Luke and brought to Kiev by Vladimir the Baptizer. After Tatars devastated the church that hosted the icon, the painting is believed to have flown to Minsk down the river from Kiev.
Показать больше Показать на карте
  • Address: 3 Kiryla i Miefodyja St. (Metro station Niamiha)

Church of St Peter and Paul

Church of St Peter and Paul
The church of St Peter and Paul is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Minsk (built in 1611). It is a typical example of how Roman Catholics influenced the Orthodox architecture. The church was built after the Union of Brest that created Greek-Catholic Church. However, unlike many other buildings, it was not part of Greek Catholic Church's possessions. Orthodox craftsmen who lived near the church defended it for decades. A peculiar detail about this church: people whose relatives are alcoholics come here frequently. To the left of the altar, you can see statuettes of angels that people bring here as gifts for Virgin Mary. This church is the only Orthodox church in Minsk that has masses in Belarusian language. Inside the church, one can see 17th-19th-century murals.
Показать больше Показать на карте
  • Address: 4 Rakaŭsjaka St. (Metro station Niamiha)

The foundation of the Castle Church

The foundation of the Castle Church
These are the remains of Minsk's first Christian church built around 1085. In fact, the real foundation of that church, never finished, is located close to Niamiha street. But here you can see the imitation of that foundation. Minskers usually come here to pray near icons that are attached to the trees.
Показать больше Показать на карте
  • Address: 2 Pieramožcaŭ Ave (Metro station Niamiha)

The Church of St. Mary Magdalene

The Church of St. Mary Magdalene
This church, sanctified in 1847, was constructed in a transitional architectural style: between Classicism and Retrospective Russian Style. After the last Catholic church was shut down in the 1930s, Catholics were allowed to pray in the Church of St. Mary Magdalene. In 1949-1990, the building of the church was repurposed for the State Archive of Cinema and Photo Documents. The icon of St. Nicolas in the church is believed to weep oil.
Показать больше Показать на карте
  • Address: 42 Kisialiova St. Getting there: tram 3, 4, 5, bus 18, 26, 29, 44, 136 to Teatralny stop

St. Alexander Nevsky Church

St. Alexander Nevsky Church
This church, sanctified in 1898, was built on the territory of the Military Cemetery as a memorial for the heroes of Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878. The church is built in the tradition of Russian baroque church XVII - XVIII centuries (retrospective Russian style). This is the only Orthodox church that has never been rebuilt in Minsk and the last Orthodox church that was closed before World War II (1938). Inside the church, there is a small mobile church that Russian troops used when they fought in Bulgaria. Some icons in the church have relics of Alexander Nevsky, Saint Euphrosyne of Polack as well as Sofia of the Sluck and Jan Karmianski. The graves of Belarusian famous poets Janka Kupala and Jakub Kolas are situated nearby.
Показать больше Показать на карте
  • Address: 11 Kazlova St. Getting there: tram 3, 6 to Plošča Zmitraka Biaduli stop or walk from Metro station Plošča Pieramohi.